Saturday 6 August 2011

I love Dresses!





Well I've got to admit I love dresses ....and hats. I love the way that women used to wear dresses every day (think of Mad Men 1950's dresses), women just looked so glamorous back then. I was wondering whether to start a campaign to encourage women to wear more dresses and more hats! (I've also enrolled on a millinery course at Sheffield College - but more of that another day). Being slightly stick shaped I find finding a dress that fits well is a bit of a rarity. So, when I decided to re-vamp an item to promote the Trashion workshop I was definitely going to do a dress. After I found a dress with a print and colour I would wear that was a couple of sizes too big I got all excited about the possibilities of adapting it and altering it to fit properly. I decided (fairly quickly) that I was going to do a halter neck, as I've always liked them but can never get them to fit very well (big issue for those of us with small boobs). It was a bit daunting at first but I found that a couple of glasses of wine helped with the courage, and then I just started chopping into the fabric just doing things by eye, not even measuring. Fortunately I'd chosen a dress in a t-shirt type fabric so I didn't need to hem everything to stop fraying. I have to admit I'm fairly pleased with the results. The dress (and my lovely new mannequin) will be coming along to the 3 craft fairs I'm doing at the Crucible theatre to promote the Running Wtih Scissors workshops - hopefully it'll cause a stir!

No comments:

Post a Comment