Thursday 31 May 2012

'Dress in a Day' for Summer

After last weekend's 'Dress in a Day' workshop I was so impressed with what everyone had achieved in the day that I decided to make another dress for myself, using the same bias cut pattern. So this is a lovely Summer dress in printed linen (from Direct Fabric warehouse on London Road), I didn't have any bias binding to match so I did double hems on the neckline, hem and sleeves. I opted for cap sleeves and gathered them slightly to make them runch a little. As the dress pattern is designed to be quite loose fitting instead of putting darts in etc I just sewed some lengths of ribbon into the side seams and tied them at the back. I think it worked out really well and I've been wearing it for the last few days because its so cool and lose fitting in this warm weather.

At the workshop everyone created different dresses, some were plain fabric with contrast or coordinating bias binding, some were patterned, others altered necklines, added darts or sewed hems in contrast coloured thread, and everyone put in some sleeves which were long, short, flared or runched! It was a really busy day for me, our tutor Sharon and everyone at the workshop!

Next 'Dress in a Day' workshop on Saturday 4th August @ Meersbrook Park United Reformed Church!


No comments:

Post a Comment